4 in a Row

Charmaine and I had a great weekend in Montreal at the Canadian International. We had a tough draw in women's doubles, in the quarter finals we were up against the 2010 Canadian National Champions, Melody Liang and Xuelian Jiang, Xuelian was a former Chinese National Team member, (8 years on the Chinese national team) and had won medals at World Championships, we were well prepared for a hard match, focusing on every rally, playing a good attacking solid game and won in two games straight 21-18, 21-18.

In the semi finals we had a marathon doubles match against a team from Japan, Kana Ito and Hitomi Oka. There were 2 courts playing at a time for the semi finals, the other half of the women's doubles draw took court #1 and shortly after they started we were called to play on court #2. Court #1 women's doubles finished, then 2 men's doubles semi final matches finished and we were still playing on court #2. After exciting and amazing long rallies over and over again, with hardly any unforced errors by both teams, Nicole and I were able to win the first game 21-18 in the second game they had a lead of 17-13, we came back to tie it up at 19 all, wanting to win in 2 games but they kept fighting and took the second game 21-19. 2 minutes of needed break between the 2nd and 3rd game and we were back battling on court. We lead 11-4 midway but still long rallies of drop, clear and smash and after 94 minutes we won the match 21-14.

Into the finals, we were well prepared the next day and looking forward to play. Unfortunately our opponents, Huang Ruilin and Lim Yee Theng had to withdraw due to an ankle injury that Huang substained in the semi finals. The Canadian International title became our 4th title in a row. (New York Open, Peru International, LABC Open and Canadian International)

In the singles action my first round was against Phyllis Chan from Canada which I could win in two straight games. In the quarter finals I played a great match against Hitomi Oka from Japan but after beating her in Croatia it was her turn this time. After 70 minutes I lost 21-18,16-21,15-21.

Our next stop Boston Open. We took the Greyhound bus from Montreal to Boston which took about 7 hours. It was a great bus ride, not busy at all and we had Wi-Fi on the bus. Before the tournament started we had a day off and went on a sightseeing tour which was a little change after playing four tournaments in a row. In doubles we had a tough draw and already met former indonesian world #1 player Deyana Lomban and Rong Bo in the quarter finals. We played ok, probably not our best and lost in a close battle 20-22, 21-12 and 19-21.
In singles I could continue my great performance from before and made it to the finals. After winning the first 2 rounds quite easy I had a tough match against Lili Zhou in the semifinals which I could win 21-16, 19-21, 21-18. I already played against her in Los Angeles a few weeks ago so I knew what to expect from her. In the finals I played Rong Bo in another long battle and finally lost 21-16. 14-21, 21-23. Too bad I didn't win but I played well and the spectators saw a fantastic and exciting game.

Now it is time to recover a bit and on May 28-29 we will compete in the Super 6 Finals in Calgary and probably heading to Asia in June depending on finding support.

All the best,
» overview » top